Homecoming 2014: Howling@125
|Donate to the Homecoming Auctions||Register for
|Thank you to our 2013 Participants|
Make our Silent Auction great! Our 4th Annual ONLINE AUCTION runs from September 18 to September 28 and our 21st Annual SILENT AUCTION runs on Thursday, September 25 during the Alumni Open House at Hodgin Hall. You can donate items to support our scholarships and programs! This is a great way to “re-gift” with a purpose. Make donations online until September 21, 2014. Questions about a contribution? Call our office at 505-277-5808 or email Victoria Beserra-Lujan at email@example.com.
Register here for Homecoming 2014: Order your posters and pins, join the Homecoming 125 Club, or sign-up online for Homecoming events such as the All University Breakfast, All Alumni Open Houses or the Football Game.
LODGING: The official hotels for Homecoming 2014 are listed below. The cutoff date for the discounted rates is September 4, 2014.
- Hotel Albuquerque, 800 Rio Grande Blvd. NW, offers a special UNM Alumni Homecoming rate of $109/night plus tax based on single/double occupancy. Contact the hotel directly at 505-843-6300 for reservations. Refer to UNM Alumni Association Homecoming. For more information visit: www.hotelabq.com.
- The Courtyard by Marriott Albuquerque Airport, 1920 Yale Blvd SE, offers a discount rate for UNM Alumni for $79/night plus tax based on single/double occupancy, and includes breakfast for two in the Bistro, free internet and parking. Call 1 (800) 321-2211 for reservations; refer to the group name “UNM Homecoming." For information about the hotel, go to http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/abqca-courtyard-albuquerque-airport/
- Crowne Plaza Hotel, 1901 University Blvd. NE, offers a discount rate for UNM Alumni for $81/night plus tax based on single/double occupancy. Call (505) 884-2500 for reservations; refer to the group “UNM RATE” or use the code “IL56U.” For information about this hotel, go to www.cpabq.com.
- The Fairfield Inn by Marriott, 11760 Menaul Blvd. NE, offers complimentary continental breakfast. Rooms are available at $79/night plus tax based on single/double occupancy. Call 505-889-4000 for reservations; refer to the group name “UNM RATE." For information about the hotel, go to www.fairfieldinn.com and search for the Albuquerque location.
TRAVEL: Air and rail travel options are listed below.
- AIR TRAVEL: For commercial airlines serving Albuquerque, visit http://www.cabq.gov/airport/airlines-flight-services.
- RAIL TRAVEL: For information on Amtrak Services, visit www.amtrak.com. For information on the New Mexico Rail Runner, visit www.nmrailrunner.com.
Join the Homecoming 125 Club: By joining the Homecoming 125 Club, you send a strong message to other alumni and friends about the importance of supporting UNM. Members will receive either a pair of tickets to the Homecoming football game or a copy of the limited edition Homecoming poster. In addition you will be listed as a member of the loyal Homecoming 125 Club on the Alumni Association’s website.
Your generous donation of $125 will help sponsor the University of New Mexico’s Homecoming celebrations!
Schedule of Events
Sunday, September 21, 2014
- UNM Men’s Soccer Tailgate, University Stadium – Sponsored by UNM’s Global Education Office and UNM Alumni Lobo Prowl. Game time is 6 pm. A special $3 rate for game tickets will be available September 3 for these events if you purchase tickets through the Alumni Association in advance. Tickets may be picked up at the UNM Alumni Association tailgate before the game.
- Lobo Reading Experience: Join us in a common reading experience! For the 2014-2015 academic year, UNM has selected the book titled Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash, by Edward Humes. Visit http://www.unm.edu/~lre for more details.
- Community Service Project: The UNM Alumni and Campus Communities are collecting travel size toiletries for the APS Homeless Project, and paper bowls for the Ronald McDonald House throughout homecoming week.
- Tamarind Institute will be open all week from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Alumni are welcome to visit and peruse the lithography gallery.
- Student Activities: Check http://lobospirit.unm.edu for details on student events during Homecoming Week.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
- UNM Art Museum: Alumni are welcome to visit Tuesdays–Saturdays until 4:00 p.m.
- UNM Staff Council will celebrate Howling @ 125 with a special event, TBD. For details and information about plans, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UNM@125 Movie Premiere: The University of New Mexico was founded on February 28, 1889, with the passage of House Bill #186 by the Legislative Assembly of the Territory of New Mexico. In 2014, UNM looks back at 125 years of history and accomplishments while also looking forward and planning for what lies ahead. Join us on the adventure! The Center for Regional Studies will premier 125 years of UNM History at the National Hispanic Cultural Center, 1701 4th St. SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102. Reservations required online or by phone (505) 277-5808. [See trailer here]
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
- Homecoming Collections Tour at Maxwell Museum: Join us for a “Behind the Scenes” tour of archaeological and ethnological collections. Curator David Phillips and Kathryn Klein will lead a tour of the Archaeology and Ethnology collections. The Maxwell holds substantial collections from all over the United States, the Arctic, Central and South America, Africa, India, Pakistan, Southeast Asia, New Guinea, Australia, and Oceania. The Museum’s holdings include material excavated from Chaco Canyon, the Jemez Mountains, the Chama River Valley, and much of the Rio Grande Valle, comprising one of the largest and most comprehensive Ancestral Pueblo archaeological research collections in the region. Free and open to all. For more information or reservations contact: email@example.com or (505) 277-1400
- UNM Faculty and Staff Alumni Appreciation Luncheon and Silent Auction: The UNM Alumni Association would like to show appreciation for our full-time faculty and staff who are UNM alumni. Tickets will be available for pick up at Hodgin Hall Alumni Center the week of September 15. New this year: a silent auction with lots of Lobo items, gift certificates from surrounding restaurants and services, and more!
- Campus Departments Decorating Contest: Each department participating in the contest will receive a commemorative 2014 Homecoming poster. Judging will take place online, and at the UNM Faculty and Staff Alumni Luncheon. Contact: Lisa Lindquist, firstname.lastname@example.org, 505-277-7870 or Laura Montoya at email@example.com, 505-277-3733.
- The School of Public Administration presents The Arthur Blumenfeld Endowed Lecture Series: This Lecture Series honors the life and work of the late Arthur Blumenfeld, former chief administrative officer for the City of Albuquerque. Reception followed by dinner, and the lecture in the SUB Ballroom C. Contact Angela Kamman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 505-277-5873.
- Zimmerman Library: Sign up today to attend a special architectural and historical tour (including the stacks!). Space is limited. RSVP to Audra Bellmore at email@example.com.
Thursday, September 25, 2014
- Lobo Spirit Day: Wear your UNM cherry and silver on campus and show your Lobo pride! Join students for a pep rally at noon in the SUB atrium to send the Lobos on to victory. (Ends at 1:00 p.m.)
- The UNM Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center for Health Policy is dedicated to increasing the diversity of health policy leaders in the social, behavioral, and health sciences and nursing. Alumni are invited to a lecture by Tennille L. Marley, PhD, MPH on “Indigenous Knowledge Land and History: Determinants of American Indian Health.” Student Union Building, Lobo A & B. Please check website for updates at http://healthpolicy.unm.edu, or contact Gina Urias-Sandoval at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 505-277-0130.
- College of Arts and Sciences Department of Spanish and Portuguese: Join us for a lecture, “The Spanish Presence in the United States,” followed by a reception in Ortega Hall, Reading Room 335. RSVP to Fabiola Parra at email@example.com or (505) 277-5907.
- UNM Anderson School of Management: Professor Manuel Montoya and the International Business Students Global (IBSG) will present and showcase their work. This event is for Anderson faculty, staff, and alumni. A reunion event will follow the lecture/student showcase. New Location: Faculty/Staff Club. RSVP to Darrell Garcia firstname.lastname@example.org or (505) 277-6264.
- The UNM Management Academy Alumni are celebrating Homecoming with a Happy Hour event from 4:30-7:00 p.m. at O'Neill's Pub, 4310 Central Ave. SE.
- THE ALUMNI CENTER at HODGIN HALL will host its annual OPEN HOUSE and SILENT AUCTION at this pre-tailgate event. Due to the changes with our normal game day events, the Silent Auction will be held at Hodgin Hall, allowing you plenty of time to peruse the unique items offered by generous donors. Proceeds benefit the UNM Alumni Association Scholarship Fund and programs. ALL alumni are invited! Join us for live music and refreshments! Reservations strongly recommended online or by phone (505) 277-5808.
- ARTIST AND AUTHORS SIGNING: William Cather Hook ’71,southwest artist and author, will be on hand at the Open House to discuss and sign his book, William Cather Hook, A Retrospective. Edward T. Lewis ’63, co-founder of Essence magazine and author of The Man from Essence, Edward Lewis will also be on campus and at the Alumni Center to sign his new release.
- UNM Young Alumni: If you graduated within the last 15 years, you’re invited to join this annual Young Alumni Networking event at the Hodgin Hall Alumni Center. Network with fellow grads and celebrate Homecoming 2014. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Veteran Alumni Chapter: All UNM Alumni Veterans are invited to get together at the Alumni Open House to celebrate Howling @125 and to learn more about the new chapter. RSVP to Trina Zahller at firstname.lastname@example.org, or rsvp online at www.unmalumni.com/hc-registration.
- Earth & Planetary Sciences Alumni Weekend begins at Hodgin Hall. RSVP here. Check website at epswww.unm.edu for details about the weekend, including a dedication at Northrop Hall, luncheon, symposium, reception and field trips.
- School of Engineering: Join us at the Alumni Open House to mix and mingle with fellow engineers. Contact Courtney Holmes at email@example.com or 277-0664.
- Honors College International Program Alumni Weekend begins with the Alumni Open House at Hodgin and continues through Sunday morning! Did you travel internationally with an Honors Program? Join fellow alumni from your cohort (Australia, Mexico, Spain, Nicaragua, Ecuador, China etc.) for an alumni weekend. Discussions with your Honors professors, special tours, a reception and more will be offered during this reunion for you and your family. For more information and to RSVP visit www.unmalumni.com/honors.html or contact Sophia Alvarez at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 505-277-4211.
- UNM Alumni Lettermen Homecoming Social: Join fellow UNM Lettermen for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. We will announce the Honorary Letterman for 2014. All 50-year Lettermen graduates will be recognized. End Zone Club, Tow Diehm Athletic Complex at University Stadium. Reservations requested. Contact: Madison Warren, email@example.com, 505-925-5905.
- Student Dance at the UNM SUB Ballrooms.
Friday, September 26, 2014
- Celebrate Homecoming and get ready for the big game! Game Day Fridays at Your UNM Bookstores (Main and North Campus, Lobo Den Store at The Pit and Lobo Den Store at University Stadium). Save 25% on all regular priced Lobowear / Spirit items and Imprinted supplies! bookstore.unm.edu or loboden.unm.edu. Until 6:00 p.m.
- College of Pharmacy Papiani Annual Meeting: Preceptor Recognition and Professional Development Day. Both events followed by lunch at noon in the Rotunda at the Science and Technology Park.
- Health Sciences Center Open House: Join us in celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the School of Medicine. See our state-of-the-art facilities, including the BATCAVE Healthcare Simulation Center; DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Team); Health Sciences Library and a HSC self-guided tour of North Campus landmarks and sculpture garden. For more info, visit www.som.unm.edu, or call Lori Peterkin at (505) 272-8085.
- Earth & Planetary Sciences Alumni Weekend: Includes a coffee, meet and greet, a dedication of the Frank D. Gorham, Jr., and Marie Kelly Gorham Geosciences Laboratory and the Mineralogy and Historical Geology Laboratory in Northrop Hall; followed by a luncheon at Hodgin Hall. Afternoon event includes a symposium on “Perspectives in the Geosciences” followed by a reception in the Silver Family Museum. RSVP here. Contact Paula Pascetti for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 505-277-1633. Please check the E&PS webpage for updates at epswww.unm.edu.
- College of Nursing: Alumni are invited to tour the Simulation Labs from 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. See where students at UNM's College of Nursing are getting a feel for real-world clinical settings with the help of some high-tech mannequins. The SIM lab plays a valuable role in preparing New Mexico's next generation of nurses. This event is followed by the College of Nursing Alumni Award Reception from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. at the UNM Student Union Building in Santa Ana A&B. Contact Marlena Bermel at 505-272-4438 or email@example.com to reserve your spot.
- Tailgates at UNM Stadium: Anderson School of Management, College of Pharmacy
- UNM Alumni Lettermen’s Tailgate: ALL UNM Alumni Lettermen are invited to a tailgate party at the Lettermen’s Lounge in The Pit. Look for the “NM” Lettermen banners. Contact: Madison Warren, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 505-925-5905.
- HOWL ZONE: Lobo fans of all ages are invited to the free and fun Howl Zone 2.5 hours prior to kickoff on the north side of the Stadium West lot! Greet the team during The Prowl as they walk through the Howl Zone or enjoy face painting, jumpers, balloon twisting and more.
- UNM ALUMNI TAILGATE: Join fellow alumni and Lobo fans for the biggest tailgate event IN THE CORPORATE LOT, NW corner of University Stadium. Everyone is welcome! Live entertainment, special guests, and a microbrew beer tasting. Vote for your favorite brew for $1, as many times as you like. Donations support the UNM Alumni Scholarship Fund. If you’re coming from work and need a quick bite, stop by for a light $5 meal before heading into the game. Get your alumni pom poms, beads and stickers here!
- HOMECOMING GAME WATCH PARTIES: Check your local alumni facebook pages, or www.unmalumni.com for a game watch party near you. No alumni chapter in your area? Contact us to help you set up a game watch party to cheer the Lobos on to victory. This game will be aired on ESPN, 6 p.m. MDT.
- University Honors College International Program Alumni Weekend: Join members of your cohort and your professors for a happy hour event at Gardunos Restaurant in The Hotel Albuquerque, 800 Rio Grande Blvd. NE. For more information or to RSVP, visit www.unmalumni.com/honors.html. Contact: Sophia Alvarez at email@example.com, 505-277-4211.
- UNM LOBOS vs. Fresno State: Cheer on the Lobos at University Stadium as they take on the Fresno State Bulldogs in the traditional Homecoming football game. Half-time festivities include the coronation of the Homecoming Queen and King. Discount tickets available at $10/each through the UNM Alumni Relations Office, 505-277-5808 or 800-258-6866, or order online.
- Friends of Dance: Presents the opening of the Elizabeth Waters Dance Center at Carlisle Gym with “From the Horse’s Mouth.” Two performances (Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m.) at Rodey Theater, directed by Tina Croll and Jamie Cunningham. This event is choreographed by UNM Alumni celebrating 40 years of dance at UNM. Tickets for general public are $20/adults; $8 students, and $5 for Theater and Dance majors. Tickets available at the UNM Ticket Offices. Contact Kathie Anthony at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 505- 266-0592.
Saturday, September 27, 2014
- ** The All University Breakfast ** recognizes the accomplishments of New Mexico alumni through the presentation of the Zia, Lobo, and the Inspirational Young Alumnus awards. Join us for this annual event at Hotel Albuquerque, 800 Rio Grande Blvd NW. $20/person. Reservations required online or call 505-277-5808 (1-800-258-6866). Read about the award winners here.
- Campus Walking Tour: Has it been a while since you were on campus? Meet at the Alumni Clock at the UNM Duck Pond for a 45 minute walking tour and see what’s new! Tours by UNM Trailblazers.
11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Celebrate Homecoming weekend at Your UNM Bookstore (Main campus store only). Save 25% on all regular priced Lobowear / Spirit items and Imprinted supplies!
- Chi Omega Alumnae Green Chile Stew Open House: Green Chile Stew Open House: Chi Omega Alumni and Parents please join us at the UNM Chi Omega House at 1810 Mesa Vista from 12-2 p.m. for a Green Chili Stew Lunch and Open House. Please RSVP to Amy Schwartzman Nolker at 505-263-5951 or at email@example.com. Go Lobos!
- University Honors College Open House: Honors alumni are invited to an open house and reception. Meet faculty, staff, and other alumni at the Dudley Wynn Honors Forum, lower level of the Student Health Center. RSVP at www.unmalumni.com/honors.html. Contact: Sophia Alvarez at firstname.lastname@example.org, 505- 277-4211.
- Black Alumni Chapter: The annual Living Legends awards ceremony features Don Perkins, Adolph Plummer, Ira Harge and Rita Powdrell as recipients. Ron Wallace, Marsha Hardemon, Charlie Jones, and Geraldine Harge will be recognized as Trailblazers. The Charles P. Roberts Fellowship Award recipient will also be announced. Centennial Engineering Auditorium. RSVP at www.unmalumni.com/hc-registration. Contact Barbara Simmons at email@example.com.
- Friends of Dance: Presents the opening of the Elizabeth Waters Dance Center at Carlisle Gym with “From the Horse’s Mouth.” Two performances (Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m.) at Rodey Theater, directed by Tina Croll and Jamie Cunningham. This event is choreographed by UNM Alumni celebrating 40 years of dance at UNM. Tickets for events honoring Elizabeth Waters are $50 for premier seating, a reception and panel discussion. Tickets for general public are $20/adults; $8 students, and $5 for Theater and Dance majors. Tickets available at the UNM Ticket Offices. Contact Kathie Anthony at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 505- 266-0592
Homecoming schedule is subject to change.
Schedule of events last updated: August 26, 2014