Homecoming 2013: A Howllywood Homecoming
Thank you for supporting Homecoming 2013
“Howllywood Homecoming,” was the UNM Alumni Association's largest production of the year. Homecoming included a variety of events including reunions, recognitions, receptions, anniversaries, tours, lectures and 3-D action packed athletic events worthy of Oscar awards.
We’d like to thank our sponsors, participants, volunteers and UNM departments for their supporting roles in making Howllywood Homecoming a smash hit! We look forward to working with you in 2014. Download a list below:
Sponsors (pdf file)
Volunteers and Contributors (pdf file)
Homecoming 2013 Campus Decorating Contest
Homecoming Week started off with campus departments decorating movie posters to enter into the annual Campus Decorating Contest. Judging took place at the Alumni Faculty and Staff Appreciation Lunch on Wednesday, September 25. The winner was the School of Engineering, featuring a drive-in movie scene complete with Hotwheels cars in the sand. A one-minute video was also added to the contest this year. The winner was the College Enrichment and Outreach Program, featuring a Lego inspired presentation of the University.
The Alumni Association collaborated with several departments on campus to feature educational sessions for alumni and the UNM community to observe. Some of these included:
- Viewing an inspiring documentary celebrating Zimmerman Library’s 75th Anniversary
- Collection tours at Maxwell Museum
- Tour of the Office of the Medical Investigator
- Arthur Blumenfeld Endowed Lecture Series featuring State Senator, John Arthur Smith
- UNM Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center for Health Policy
- Anderson School of Management: Tour of the IFDM facility at Mesa del Sol
- Spanish and Portuguese Department: Celebrating Varieties of New Mexican Spanish
- College of Nursing: Tour of the Simulation Labs
- Friends of Dance: Alumni choreographers presented, Real Men Dance
- UNM Staff Council celebrated with a picnic, featuring a photo booth and visits by Lobo Louie and Lucy, the volleyball team, and the ski teams
Several alumni were recognized at various awards dinners and receptions throughout the week including:
- UNM Alumni Assoc. presented the Zia, Lobo, and Inspirational Young Alumni Awards.
- Black Alumni Chapter presented Michael Cooper the Living Legend Award and Hannah Best and Thomas Michael Williams the Trailblazer Award
- College of Nursing honored Terri Fortner, Sophia Rodgers and Lauri Lineweaver
- Honorary Lettermen included Rudy Chavez, Regent Jack Fortner, Raleigh Gardenshire, and “Nurse Lee” Argubright.
Reunions, Community Service and More
Special alumni reunions were held during the week, including: Daily Lobo Staffers, Heritage Club and Class of 1963, UNM Trailblazers and the UNM School of Law 25th Anniversary.
Community service has become a high priority during Homecoming Week, as the campus rallied to collect toiletries for the APS Title I Homeless Program and toilet paper for the Ronald McDonald House. The use of a U-Haul truck was donated in order to collect all the goods. Over 400 pounds of toiletries and several hundred rolls of toilet paper were delivered. Thank you to the UNM Community! A special thanks to the UNM Homecoming Committee for preparing a BBQ meal to residents at the Ronald McDonald House.
Traditional Homecoming festivities included the pre-game tailgate and silent auction held in the Club Level of The Pit. The space was packed with Lobo fans, alumni, cheerleaders and the 2013 Homecoming Court. Although we didn’t win the game, we were delighted by the presence of the Homecoming Court at the half-time coronation. This year’s Homecoming King is Elias Proce and the Homecoming Queen is Taylor Stern.
All in all, a great time was had by everyone who participated! Find fun photos on our flickr site.
Order Your Homecoming 2013 Posters and Pins Today!
Homecoming Posters and pins are still available . . .
Our 2013 Homecoming Poster is:
San Francisco de Asis Church, Golden, NM by David Vega Chavez, 24” x 36"
Available signed limited edition or unsigned
Homecoming 2013 Pin: 7/8" flat enamel lapel pin... Order online here.
Join the Homecoming 100 Club!
U can join the Homecoming 100 Club! By joining the Homecoming 100 Club, U will send a strong message to other alumni and friends about the importance of supporting our University of New Mexico. Members will receive either a pair of tickets to the Homecoming football game or a copy of the limited edition Homecoming poster.
In addition you will be listed as a member of the loyal Homecoming 100 Club in the Alumni Association’s Mirage Magazine. Your generous donation of $100 will help sponsor the University of New Mexico’s Homecoming celebrations! Join Today!
Schedule of Homecoming events last updated: October 15, 2013