Pictured above: Members of the Black Alumni Chapter
Black Alumni Chapter
The purpose of the UNM Black Alumni Chapter is to develop a plan to mobilize the membership to assist in the accomplishment of the organization's purpose as follows:
- To establish contact between the University and its Black Alumni
- To maintain the existence of the Africana Studies Program and the African American Student Center
- To assist with the recruitment, retention and graduation of Black Students
- To establish a historical archive of the Black Student movement and Black Alumni contribution locally, nationally and internationally
- To establish the Josephus (Joe) Long Scholarship Fund at UNM for high school and college students
- To establish a bi-annual UNM Black Alumni publication
UNM Black Alumni Chapter Election of Executive Board Officers 2018
Nomination deadline has passed. Ballots are being prepared. Please direct any questions to Doris Willard by phone at 505-589-2542 or by email.
The Election Process and Deadlines are as follows:
- Election Committee
- Sam WD Johnson, Chair Person of Election Committee/Vice President, Black Alumni Chapter
- Doris Willard, Election Committee Member/Board Member
- Officers to be elected: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer
- If uncontested officer maintains position.
- Each officer can run for re-election.
- Requirements for Candidates 2018
- All candidates must be a UNM Black alum, and a registered regular member of the UNM Black Alumni Chapter.
- All candidates shall be registered as a registered regular UNM Black Alumni Chapter member on or before May 15, 2016 (two year membership requirement).
- Requirement for Eligible Voters
- All eligible voters must be a registered, regular member of the UNM Black Alumni Chapter on or before April 15, 2018.
- Any Black Alum registered with the UNM Black Alumni Chapter is a "regular member."
- UNM Black Alumni Chapter Election Timelines and Mandatory Deadlines 2018
- April 15, 2018 is the voter registration deadline
- April 15, 2018 is the deadline for return of the Nomination Form
- The ballots will be sent to voters no later than April 20, 2018
- May 15, 2018 is the deadline for all voting ballots to be received by the UNM Black Alumni Chapter Election Committee.
- Polling Location- May 15, 2018
- A Ballot Box will be available at Hodgin Hall from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. for walk in votes on May 15, 2018.
- University of New Mexico Alumni Office
- Hodgin Hall Alumni Center
- University of New Mexico
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Election Results — The results will be posted on the Black Alumni Chapter Website as well as mailed to all candidates and voters by June 11, 2018.
Josephus (Joe) Long Scholarship Fund
The Josephus (Joe) Long Scholarship Fund is named in honor of Josephus (Joe) Long, the first Black Student Union President at UNM in 1967. The purpose of the scholarship fund is to honor Joe for his leadership and commitment to equality in the field of education for Black students. He attended UNM from the fall of 1967 to the fall of 1969. His major was Art Education. He received a Master of Arts degree from UNM on June 3, 1970.
Give to the Josephus (Joe) Long Scholarship Fund
You may contribute to the scholarship fund online by Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express or by check. You may make a single contribution, or divide your gift into monthly contributions indefinitely or for a specific period of time.
Questions? For more information or questions about contributions, please contact the UNM Foundation at 505/277-4503 or at 1-800/UNM-FUND.
Our Board Members
Barbara Brown Simmons
JD, 1974, UNM
Sam William D. Johnson
JD, 1976, UNM
BA, 1969, UNM
Black Alumni Chapter Awards
Video recording of the 2017 Awards Ceremony:
We Honor Your Accomplishments! A special thank you to recognize Dr. Harold Bailey, Dr. Tobias Duran, Dr. Jozie De Leon and Wm. Scott Carreathers as outstanding supporters of the Black Alumni Chapter.
2017 Award Recipients
Trailblazer Award: Hakim Bellamy (‘14 MA), Rev. Donald Walton (‘73 BSPE)
Living Legends Award: C. Danny Spriggs (‘74 BUS), Van Tate (‘88 BA)
Motto: Never Submit to Injustice.
Last Updated: April 17, 2018