College of Education Alumni Chapter
The College of Education Alumni Chapter and Friends Board works to engage with alumni through social and professional events including Homecoming activities, Alumni awards, and opportunities for campus engagements.
The College of Education (COE) Alumni Chapter supports the interest of the students, alumni and friends of the COE at UNM.
The Friends Board, the COE Alumni Chapter board of directors, increases private and public support for the wide variety of academic programs in the College. Board members engage with key stakeholders to promote the College and help to establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships between the College and its alumni and friends.
Alumni Chapter and Friends Board
The College of Education Alumni Chapter and Friends Board is pleased to announce the call for nominees to join the Board for the term beginning July 1, 2020. The Board is looking for members who love the College and who will work actively on its behalf.
The executive committee leads the board and is made up of the Chair, Chair-Elect, Secretary and Treasurer. In addition, the board currently contains five working committees that oversee: annual events to engage alumni and friends, the College Recognition Awards Program and the College’s internal awards for faculty and staff.
You can nominate an individual (Nominees may be alumni or friends of the College) for the board below. No self-nominations are accepted. To ask questions, please contact the College of Education at email@example.com.
College of Education Recognition Awards
The purpose of the awards is to express deep appreciation to those individuals and organizations, who, through service, and accomplishment, bring distinction and honor to the College of Education (COE) and the University of New Mexico.
The COE Alumni Chapter supports the wide variety of academic programs in the College. The Chapter welcomes submissions for award nominees, regardless of program or department. The College’s current Departments are:
- Health, Exercise, and Sports Sciences
- Programs: athletic training, exercise science, health education, physical education teacher education and sport administration.
- Individual, Family, and Community Education
- Programs: counselor education, educational psychology, family and child studies and nutrition.
- Language, Literacy, and Sociocultural Studies
- Programs: language, literacy and sociocultural studies and educational linguistics.
- Special Education (SPCD)
- Programs at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels in special education. Certificates in: applied behavior analysis, educational diagnosis, autism spectrum disorder and specialist in education (Ed.S.).
- Teacher Education, Educational Leadership
- Programs: elementary education, secondary education, educational leadership, teacher education degrees and post master’s certificates and the online MA in education.
College of Education Alumni Award
For graduates who have brought honor and/or have made significant contributions to their professions in New Mexico and/or nationally/internationally.
- Outstanding achievements by UNM-COE alumni working as professionals in the fields represented in the COE departments.
- Five years or more of professional experience in the COE related field (e.g. educators, administrators, counselors, nutrition professionals, researchers).
- Currently holds, or has held, a professional education or leadership position in a local, state or national professional organization, post-secondary educational institution or policy-making/review board.
- Has received recognition for professional ability or service to individuals, schools, health care organizations or the community. (This may include but is not limited to involvement with student activities; support groups; public or private agencies, professional and civic organizations and activities; and presentations or publications at the local, state and/or national levels.)
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to students/clients, life-long learning, and professional growth.
College of Education Community Award
A community member, local business or organization may be nominated for a COE Recognition Award. The community member or individuals associated with the business or organization need not be UNM Alumni. The purpose of the award is to recognize individuals, businesses or organizations making a significant contribution to the endeavors of the departments within the College of Education and/or the welfare of children in New Mexico.
- The nomination should detail efforts made on behalf of the work of the departments within the College of Education. Examples include but are not limited to: serving on boards or advisory committees, providing special assistance to enhance the capacity of the educational system or community through release time, sponsoring mentorships, organizing activities, and/or providing necessities and resources above and beyond the capacity of local agencies.
- There should be evidence that the nominee demonstrates a strong commitment to supporting the mission of one or more of the departments within the College of Education (i.e., recognized for outstanding generosity through service, leadership, volunteerism and commitment to the college or community).
- The nominee continues to be actively involved in community service.
- At least three letters of support (in addition to the nomination) that indicate respect of peers and commitment to the missions of the departments within the College of Education.
If you would like to join the College of Education Alumni Chapter, please email your information to: Maria Wolfe or fill out the submission form below.
Last Updated: March 9, 2020
For questions or more information:
Alumni Relations Office