Golden Graduates . . .
Has It Really Been 50 Years?!
Each year, UNM Golden Graduates — the class celebrating its 50th anniversary – are honored at The University of New Mexico Commencement.
In 2018, the UNM Alumni Association will be honoring those alumni who graduated in 1968, along with Heritage Club members, those who graduated 50 or more years ago. This special Golden Graduate recognition began as a salute to alumni unable to participate in their own commencement ceremonies because of military service in WWII and the Korean Conflict. Gold-colored robes are provided and the names of those returning for the ceremony are printed in the official program. In addition to participating in the Commencement ceremony, Golden Graduates are invited to participate in their school's convocation ceremony. This is a perfect opportunity to reminisce with former classmates and friends!
Golden Graduates and Heritage Club Information
College of Education
Friday, May 11: Golden Graduates Day. “Bring A Book To Life” Celebration and tour of teacher preparation program at La Mesa Elementary School from noon to 1:30 p.m. Golden Graduates Reception, Hodgin Hall Alumni Center, UNM Main Campus from 2:30 to 4 p.m. To reserve your space and receive directions and parking information, please contact us by email or by phone at 505-277-2231. Please reply by April 27, 2018.
School of Engineering
Friday, May 11, 2018: School of Engineering Golden Graduates Luncheon. 11 a.m. Check-in, photos and conversation. 11:30 a.m. Luncheon (Reservations Required) in the Stamm Commons, Centennial Engineering Center. 1 p.m. Farris Engineering Center Tour.
Saturday, May 12, 2018: School of Engineering Convocation. 7 p.m. at Dreamstyle Arena (The Pit).
Golden Graduate and Heritage Club Commencement Information
Download the Commencement information (PDF file).
- Please park in the SOUTHEAST (UNM Baseball) parking lot at Dreamstyle Arena and enter the door to the Pete McDavid Lounge. Map and Parking provided. Arrive no later than 8:15 a.m. on Saturday, May 12, 2018
- Coffee, juice and rolls will be provided.
- Wear comfortable clothing and especially comfortable shoes!
- Make sure to use the restroom by 8:30 a.m. (graduation will last at least 2 hrs.)
- Ladies you might want to leave your purses with your family or leave them at home.
- As graduates, your tassels are on the left side of mortarboard.
- You will line up to walk down stairs or take the elevator. You will then walk down a steep ramp. Assistance and wheelchairs will be provided if needed please let Sue or Kathie know!
- You will sit in the front row.
- It is best to have family members sit on the south (left of the stage) side of the arena for better photo opportunities.
- During commencement, you will be recognized as a group and asked to stand.
- Keep in mind that all 2018 undergraduates will have their names read and they will march up on the stage to receive a certificate. It will go quickly.
To exit at the end of the program:
- The stage participants will exit when the mariachis enter and start playing.
- The Golden Grads will follow behind the stage participants to exit.
- Watch for cues from Kathie.
- You will walk back up the ramp and reconvene in the Pete McDavid Lounge.
- We will collect your robes and caps at that time unless you are participating in your school’s convocation. You are welcome to keep your tassel from your mortar boards.
- If you are planning to participate in your designated school’s convocation later in the day, and would like to wear your golden robes, take them with you, but please leave them with a representative from your school when you are done. They will return them to us.
We will attempt to have your photos on our the UNM Alumni Association's Flickr page the week following commencement.
Congratulations on participating in your Golden Anniversary Commencement!
Schedule of Events:
FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2018
Hodgin Hall Alumni Center, UNM Main Campus
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Open House and Robe Fitting: Enjoy coffee, tea and treats while you are fitted with your golden robe and mortar board for Saturday’s commencement. Then explore the beautiful Hodgin Hall Alumni Center, browse through yearbooks, take photos, etc.
- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Campus Tour: Explore the UNM campus on this 1 hour tour, glimpse the past and see how we have grown! The tour will depart from Hodgin Hall Alumni Center./li>
SATURDAY, MAY 12, 2018
Pete McDavid Lounge, Dreamstyle Arena, (The Pit)
Park in the lot south of Dreamstyle Arena and east of the UNM Baseball Field
- Arrive by 8:15 a.m., Commencement: Kick off the 2018 UNM commencement with a Golden Graduate procession. Then enjoy the rest of the commencement ceremonies in your place of honor — right in front of the stage, inspiring the next generation of UMN graduates. You will also witness the installation of UNM’s 23rd and first female president, Dr. Garnett Stokes.
Class of 1968 Class Notes:
Sign up for UNM Alumni Connect, the UNM Alumni Association's online community to find and connect with Class of 1968 alumni, submit a class note, or update your contact information. If you have not yet registered, you will need to know your Alumni ID number to complete the registration process. If you do not know your Alumni ID number, please complete the Alumni ID Request Form and our office will contact you within 72 hours with your Alumni ID number. You can search by maiden name, class year, degree, major, and city/state.
More information and to sign-up here.
Special Hotel Rates:
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Albuquerque Airport
2300 Centre Ave. SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106; 505-247-1621
Group rate: $89 plus tax per night. To reserve your group rate, call and reference The University of New Mexico.
Towne Place Suites by Marriott
2400 Centre Ave. SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106; 505-232-5800
Group rate: Studio Single Queen, $79 plus tax per night. Studio Double Queen, $89 plus tax per night. To reserve your group rate, call and reference The University of New Mexico.
Last Updated: January 24, 2019
For questions or more information:
Alumni Relations Office