Hodgin Hall Alumni Center: The Heart and Soul of UNM
From its beginnings in 1892 to its renovation in 2011 to the U sculpture unveiled in 2012, Hodgin Hall Alumni Center has always served as a home for alumni, faculty, staff, students, and friends of UNM.
Tour Hodgin Hall
Self-guided Walking Tours
Self-guided walking tours are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A brochure detailing the highlights of Hodgin Hall is available at the front desk for reference.
Personalized and Group Tours
Personalized and group tours are available by appointment only. Please contact the Alumni Relations Office at 505-277-5808 for more details.
- UNM Traditions: The Garden Level tells the story of UNM's traditions through photos and displays including those of the freshman green beanie, Homecoming, Lobo Days festivities, the Hanging of the Greens celebration, the fight song, and UNM's mascots, Lobo Louie and Lucy.
- Lena Clauve: The carved desk belonged to Lena Clauve, UNM's first dean of women. She came to New Mexico from Indiana, earned a UNM degree in music in 1925 and returned to serve as dean and professor of music from 1929 to 1961.
- George Washington Portrait: On the wall hangs a portrait of the first president of the United States, George Washington. It was painted more than 200 years ago by the noted American artist Gilbert Stuart.
- Time Capsule: The class of 1908 had the honor of laying a time capsule in the cornerstone of the new Rodey Hall, preserving many valuable items with cherished memories of UNM.
- Truth Window: A "truth window" shows Hodgin Hall's original sandstone foundation. Between G06 and G07, exposed Horne brick from the original 1892 building can be seen.
The walking tour brochure is also available for download here.
Brick Brigade: Be a Part of Alumni History
Once a red brick schoolhouse in the middle of nowhere, now a pueblo-style showpiece of The University of New Mexico, Hodgin Hall holds the memories of more than 174,000 UNM alumni. The Hodgin Hall Brick Brigade began in 1992, commemorating Hodgin Hall's 100th anniversary.
The Hodgin Hall Brick Brigade provides an opportunity to commemorate your own or a loved one's days at UNM with a personalized brick laid in a handsome walkway leading to Hodgin's main entrance. Your brick purchase will endow the future for Hodgin Hall and the UNM Alumni Association. Funds raised will assure Hodgin Hall's maintenance and renovation while supporting the efforts of the UNM Alumni Association.
Hodgin Hall Library
Help fill our Hodgin Hall Library shelves . . . with books by Alumni!
Hodgin Hall housed the university's first library, from 1892 to 1926. While few of Hodgin's early books were written by alumni, today we could fill our shelves with alumni publications. And that's what we hope to do! The second-floor Hodgin Hall Library will house a collection of works by UNM alumni, along with a full collection of Mirage yearbooks. This will be a non-lending library. Visitors will read the works on the premises.
Are You A Published Author?
If you are a published author, please send us an autographed copy of your book for our collection. You may be chosen to give an author's talk in our library. Send your publication to: UNM Alumni Relations Office, Hodgin Hall, MSC 01-1160, Albuquerque NM 87131-0001. Please include your contact information.
If you would like your book to be considered for Shelf Life in Mirage magazine or for Libros by Lobos, our online directory of alumni books, please submit your request via our online submission form.
- Old or new works of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, photography are welcome
- Theses, dissertations or self-published works are not accepted
- Please submit one copy, autographed, if possible
- Your work is welcome whether you're an author, a contributing author, an editor, a photographer, or a prologue-writer . . .
- You just need to be a UNM alum!
When will the U be lit?
For more information on the lighting of The U, visit unmalumni.com/theu or contact us at (505) 277-5808 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions or more information:
Special Events Coordinator,