Lobo Advocacy: You Can Help!
Lobos for Legislation is a legislative advocacy network of alumni concerned with the future of higher education at the University of New Mexico. This Alumni Association sponsored program works with the Office of Government Relations and serves as a communication pipeline between UNM and New Mexico State legislators. Lobos for Legislation’s primary goal is to promote and enhance UNM through grassroots networking. The nonpartisan committee is comprised of alumni, friends and student government leaders.
Lobos for Legislation interacts with state and federal elected officials:
- Legislative Home Receptions hosted by alumni who invite legislators in their homes across the state.
- Legislative Briefing educates alumni about UNM priorities and key issues pertinent to the upcoming legislative session.
- Legislator Appreciation Reception is held in Santa Fe during the legislative session.
- Legislator Service Awards are given to state legislators serving 20 years in the New Mexico State Legislature.
- Higher Education Distinguished Legislator Award annually recognizes a New Mexico legislator who went above and beyond on behalf of UNM and/or higher education.
- Year-round opportunities of social, cultural, and sporting events provide a forum where UNM alumni and friends interact with elected officials.
- New Mexico Congressional Delegation Reception held in Washington D.C. offers opportunities for UNM alumni living in the D.C. area to interact with the New Mexico Congressional delegation.
Be an advocate for UNM
Help us promote the needs of UNM. Show your pride and support UNM by becoming a Lobo Link.
Become a Lobo Link
The Lobo Link program matches UNM alumni and friends with New Mexico State legislators, and acts in the following ways:
- Communicates and builds rapport with legislators
- Maintains relationships that champion UNM and higher education
- Fosters goodwill among public officials and the general public
- Interfaces with state legislators on a year-round basis through Lobos for Legislation events, briefings, and receptions
- Conveys UNM’s position on legislative issues via text, written messages, or phone calls when prompted by Lobos for Legislation
Sign up today!
For questions or more information:
Alumni Relations Office