Celebration traditions, making new ones
Homecoming history and traditions
Each year, the UNM Alumni Association works with campus faculty, staff, colleges and departments, student groups and club to bring to life and one-of-a-kind week of celebrating the University and its community. A few things you can look forward to every year:
For our out-of-town Lobos, the UNM Alumni Association host an annual online auction that supports UNM student scholarships and alumni programs. Traditionally, the online auction kicks off the festivities at 8 a.m. the Sunday of Homecoming week and concludes the celebrations at 8 p.m. the following Sunday.
Each year, our generous donors give to our auction the most spectacular items for our alumni to bid on including balloon rides, ski packages, green chile deliveries and so much more! If you are interested in donating to our online or silent auctions, please contact Victoria Beserra-Lujan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-277-6040.
Hodgin Hall Alumni Center Open House & Silent Auction
The University of New Mexico Alumni Association enthusiastically invites alumni and the community to its annual Open House & Silent Auction at Hodgin Hall Alumni Center for an evening of fun, live entertainment and delicious refreshments while bidding on fabulous auction items from our generous donors. Help the UNM Alumni Association Scholarship Fund and programs by participating in the auction – proceeds support UNM students and alumni programs.
Join The Homecoming 127 Club!
By joining The Homecoming 127 Club, you send a strong message to other alumni and friends about the importance of supporting the UNM Alumni Association and The University of New Mexico. Members will receive either a pair of tickets to the Homecoming football game or a copy of the limited edition Homecoming poster. In addition you will be listed as a member of the loyal Homecoming 127 Club on the Alumni Association's website. Your generous donation of $127 will help sponsor The University of New Mexico's Homecoming celebrations!
Homecoming Community Service Project
The UNM Alumni Association collects items for a select New Mexico nonprofit each Homecoming. In 2015, the Alumni Association and generous supporters collected donated in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities New Mexico and Albuquerque Public Schools Title I Homeless Project as part of the sixth annual Homecoming Community Service Project. The generous donation received made a tremendous difference in the families and students' lives. The 2016 benefiting charities will be announced in summer 2016.
Homecoming Campus Decorating and Short Film Contest
The University of New Mexico and the Alumni Association invite departments to participate in the annual Homecoming Campus Decorating & Short Film Contest to celebration each year's theme. All entries are judged and winners announced at the UNM Faculty and Staff Alumni Luncheon & Silent Auction.
Travel and Lodging
The official hotels for Homecoming 2016 are listed below. Homecoming weekend overlaps with the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta so special room rates have been negotiated for our alumni for Homecoming week (September 26-October 2). Please see reservation deadlines specific to each hotel.
- Crowne Plaza Hotel, 1901 University Blvd. NE, offers a discount rate to UNM Alumni of $94.00 per night September 26-29, then $115.67 per night September 30-October 1. Call (505) 884-2500 for reservations, or call Tony Ration, Reservations Manager, at (505) 998-6405. Refer to the group name "UNM." You may also book online here. Must book by August 27 for these special rates.
- Fairfield Inn, 1760 Menaul Blvd. NE, offers a discount rate for UNM Alumni for $74/night Monday-Thursday and $129/night Friday-Sunday (plus tax). Call 1-877-301-8484 (toll free) for reservations, or book online here. Must book by August 27 for these special rates. Note: when you make the reservation online, only the $129 rate will show. They will correct the UNM reservations on their side to reflect the Mon-Thurs reduced rate. If you have questions please call their toll free number for help.
- The Courtyard by Marriott Albuquerque Airport, 1920 Yale Blvd SE, offers a discount rate for UNM Alumni during Homecoming week for $139/night plus tax based on queen with two beds, and includes breakfast for two in the Bistro, free internet and parking. Call 1-800-321-2211 for reservations; refer to the group name "UNM Homecoming Weekend Room Block" or book online here. Must book by September 5 for these special rates.
Air and rail travel options are listed below.
- Air Travel: For commercial airlines serving Albuquerque, visit http://www.cabq.gov/airport/airlines-flight-services.
- Rail Travel: For information on Amtrak Services, visit www.amtrak.com. For information on the New Mexico Rail Runner, visit www.nmrailrunner.com.
For questions or more information:
Alumni Relations Office