You are reading The Howler, our monthly e-newsletter for UNM alumni and friends, dedicated to building Lobos for life with news, resources, and ways to stay connected. We hope you enjoy it, and welcome your comments. Did you know you can update your email communication and privacy preferences in UNM Alumni Connect, the UNM Alumni Association’s online community? Log in today. Or, sign up online for The Howler.
Announcements from The UNM Alumni Association
UNM Announces Garnett Stokes As New President
The University of New Mexico Board of Regents has unanimously selected Garnett S. Stokes as its 22nd president. Stokes, 61, will succeed Interim President Chaouki Abdallah, who has served in the role since the beginning of 2017. Stokes will take office March 1, 2018.
In making the announcement UNM Board of Regents’ President Rob Doughty said, “We are proud and honored to announce that Garnett Stokes has accepted our offer to become UNM’s next president. This is a transformational time at UNM, and Dr. Stokes brings the experience, skills and vision that UNM needs in a president to drive UNM beyond just its potential. Dr. Stokes’ appointment reflects the campus’ dedication to finding a President who will deliver on UNM’s commitment to student success and serving the citizens of New Mexico. Each of us defines all of us, and we have chosen Dr. Stokes to join us in defining UNM through her vision, passion, and direction. Together, we will we will shape the future of UNM.”
Winter Award Nominations: Deadline is Nov. 10!
The UNM Alumni Association is seeking nominations for its prestigious James F. Zimmerman, Bernard S. Rodey, Erna S. Fergusson and Faculty Teaching Awards. The deadline to submit nominations is Friday, Nov. 10. The award winners will be honored on Thursday, Feb. 8, 2018 at the Alumni Association’s Winter Awards Dinner. For additional information, contact Jane Algermissen at 505-277-9085 or by email. Visit the award webpage for an online nomination form.
Veterans Day Memorial at The Chapel
The Veterans Alumni Chapter, Veterans Resource Center, Navy ROTC, Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC will host a Veterans Day Celebration & Remembrance at 10 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 10, in the UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel. A reception will follow in the Chapel Garden. All alumni, students, faculty, staff and community members are invited to this celebration and remembrance.
New Grad Celebrations
The Fall Class of 2017 will graduate on Friday, Dec. 15, at 6 p.m. and we are ready to welcome our new grads to our Lobo alumni pack with the following celebrations:
- Tuesday, Nov. 14; Wednesday, Nov. 15; and Wednesday, Dec. 6, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.: The UNM Alumni Association will be lighting The U red in your honor! A professional photographer will be available to take a free commemorative photo of our Fall 2017 grads in front of The U at Hodgin Hall Alumni Center. Please bring your cap and gown, and smile. (Don’t have a cap and gown? Don’t worry, we’ll loan you one!) Grads will receive their print-quality photograph the following week via email. Reserve your photo session here.
- Wednesday, Dec. 6, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.: ASUNM Lobo Spirit, in collaboration with Student Activities, will host the annual UNM Ring Ceremony in the SUB Ballroom. The ceremony, for students and alumni who have purchased a UNM Class ring, includes the traditional red dye hand dip. Order your class ring here.
- Thursday, Dec. 14, from 5:30 to 7 p.m.: The UNM Alumni Association and UNM Young Alumni Chapter celebrate the Fall Class of 2017 by inviting graduates to party with their pack at the New Grad Bash from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 14, at Hodgin Hall Alumni Center. Bring your family, friends and fellow Lobos to join other soon-to-be alums for drinks, appetizers provide by Conchita’s Cafe, and music as we proudly welcome our newest grads to the Alumni Association. Visit the New Grad Bash webpage for more information and to RSVP or call 505-277-5808.
Did U Know?
Did you know that when you support an alumni chapter scholarship, your gift could be matched by your employer? When you donate an alumni chapter scholarship through the UNM Foundation, you can have your gift matched by your employer. Check to see if your employer participates in the matching gifts program, and double or triple the impact of your gift today!
Shared Knowledge Conference
Share, connect, grow and glow together at the Shared Knowledge Conference from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, at Hodgin Hall Alumni Center. Join us as we celebrate outstanding research and scholarship from UNM graduate students. The Shared Knowledge Conference is a space to exchange ideas and work toward new horizons of growth and discovery. For more information, visit the conference’s webpage.
Lobos Tailgate at Texas A&M
We invite you to a pregame tailgate from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11, for all Lobos and football fans as we get ready to cheer our Lobo football team to a victory over the Texas A&M Aggies! We want you to be a part of the pregame fanfare before heading into Kyle Field. Details, game ticket info and RSVP here.
Lobo Living Room
Join us on Thursday, Nov. 16, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. as UNM's School of Medicine, Dr. David Schade and Dr. Philip Eaton will discuss heart disease — the #1 killer in the United States. Most people do not realize heart disease is totally preventable. Schade and Eaton will review all the positive steps to take so heart disease does not interfere with your livelihood. This presentation could save your life! More info and RSVP here.
Hanging of The Greens
Join us for the annual Hanging of the Greens on Friday, Dec. 1. Lights from 14,000 luminarias will cast a spell across campus for one of UNM’s oldest traditions. The festivities begin at 5:45 p.m. outside the UNM Bookstore with caroling that will continue to University House, where UNM students will present the official wreath and then will continue caroling to Hodgin Hall Alumni Center with a holiday lighting of The U.
UNM Alumni Travel Program
Are you making your holiday wish list? Think about adding an experience of a lifetime to the list with a trip through our Alumni Travel Program! With a number of unique trip opportunities, our Alumni Travel Program sets you up for success by handling all the travel plans and arrangements for you while offering amazing discounts. The UNM Alumni Travel Program’s 2018 trips calendar is online. For questions or to book your trip, please call Kathie Scott at 505-277-9093.
Events are planned and put on our calendar weekly, stay up to date about chapter events by visiting our online events calendar.
- Saturday, Nov. 18: Annual Hill Wine Country Tasting Tour. More details and RSVP.
- Sunday, Dec. 3, from 5 to 8:30 p.m.: Austin Chapter Holiday Potluck Celebration. More details and RSVP.
- Saturday, Nov. 18, from 1 to 4 p.m.: Chicago Lobos are invited for a fun afternoon at Goose Island Brewery on Fulton Street. Appetizers will be provided by the UNM Alumni Chicago Chapter. More details and RSVP.
- Saturday, Jan 20, 2018: Game Watch UNM vs. SDSU Men’s Basketball.
- Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018: Lobo Day with Anderson School of Management Dean Shawn Berman.
- Tuesday, Nov. 28, 5 to 8 p.m.: Community Night at Dion’s Commerce City location. More details.
- Wednesday, Dec. 6: UNM Basketball at Colorado University. More details.
Los Angeles Chapter
- Saturday, Dec. 9, 3 to 6 p.m.: Los Angeles Chapter Lobo Holiday Party at San Antonio Winery. More details and RSVP.
- Friday, Feb. 2, 2018: Networking event at the Adobe Campus.
- Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018: UNM Men’s Basketball vs. San Jose State.
San Diego Chapter
- Friday, Nov. 24, at 11 a.m.: UNM Alumni San Diego Chapter will host a pre-game social prior to the UNM vs. SDSU Football Game at McGregor's Ale House. More details.
- Sunday, Dec. 3: Seattle Chapter’s annual Howliday Potluck.
UNM Young Alumni Chapter
- Thursday, Nov. 2, at 6 p.m.: Campus Engagement Committee meeting at Bow & Arrow Brewing Co.
- Monday, Nov. 6, at 6 p.m.: Service and Philanthropy Committee meeting at Joe Carraro’s.
- Friday, Nov. 10, 6 to 9 p.m.: Join UNM Young Alumni for a professional development mixer at Apothecary Lounge at Hotel Parq Central. This event is open to young alumni, recent grads and also soon-to-be graduates. Appetizers will be provided.
- Tuesday, Dec. 5, at 6 p.m.: Events and Alumni Connection Committee meeting at Kellys Brew Pub.
Veterans Alumni Chapter
- Saturday, Nov. 4, 11 a.m.: Hero’s Day Lobo football pregame tailgate hosted by the UNM Veterans Alumni Chapter will be held in the Stadium West Tailgate Lot at Dreamstyle Stadium. Join the Veterans Alumni Chapter for free pizza and drinks. Vets can pick up your free Proud Lobo Veterans pin. More details.
Washington D.C. Chapter
- Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018: Lobo Day Brunch with Dr. Chris Witt.
It’s Good To Be A Lobo
UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel
The Alumni Association invites you to tour and book the UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel for your special event or celebration. Elegant in its Southwestern simplicity, the University of New Mexico's Alumni Memorial Chapel is the ideal location for weddings, vow renewals and memorial services. The UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel is nondenominational and available to students, faculty, staff, and alumni. A virtual tour and booking information is available online or call Kathie Scott at 505-277-9093.
Business Card Drive
The UNM Alumni Relations Office is asking alums to mail us five business cards. The cards will be assembled into binders that will be shared with the career services and enrollment management offices to share with prospective and current students, showing the vast scope of careers that are possible with a degree from UNM. As a way to say thank you for your participation, the fifth card will be returned to you as a luggage tag. To share your business cards, please send them to: UNM Alumni Relations Office, ATTN: Business Card Book, MSC01-1160, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131.
Beyond friendship, fun, connecting with your professors and cheering for the Lobos, there are additional tangible benefits to being a UNM alum. UNM alumni, students and faculty can rent the UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel for life remembrances and celebrations. Alumni are eligible for negotiated group rates on insurance needs — from pets to homes. As an alum, you can purchase a Johnson Gym rec card and receive discounts on lifelong learning opportunities. Learn more about all Lobo Perks today!
Find your photos!
Did you come to any of our recent events? You can find all the photos on our Flickr site. Take a minute and tag yourself and your friends!
And, we lit THE U for you!
The U, located in Hodgin Hall Plaza, is lit in various colors to celebrate key achievements in academics, athletics, and other occasions on campus. Updates on when The U will be lit here.
- Oct. 27: Women's Cross Country claimed their 10th consecutive championship for the longest active streak in Division I women's cross country Mountain West Championships
For questions or more information:
Alumni Relations Office