You are reading The Howler, our monthly e-newsletter for UNM alumni and friends, dedicated to building Lobos for life with news, resources, and ways to stay connected. We hope you enjoy it, and welcome your comments. Did you know you can update your email communication and privacy preferences in UNM Alumni Connect, the UNM Alumni Association’s online community? Log in today. Or, sign up online for The Howler.
Announcements from The UNM Alumni Association
The Fall 2017 edition of the Mirage Magazine is in your inbox, if you opted for digital delivery, or it is in your mailbox, if you opted for home delivery. Mirage livens up the Homecoming 2017 spirit with stories about Lobo Louie and Lucy, introduces us to the new men’s basketball coach, Paul Weir, and includes information about Homecoming events and award recipients. You can update your delivery preferences and read the online version of our alumni magazine online.
Homecoming 2017: Living la Vida Lobo
The UNM Alumni Association invites all members of our pack to reignite and rediscover their Lobo spirit during the Homecoming 2017 celebration — Living la Vida Lobo! This year’s homecoming is a celebration of the Lobo life with the guest of honor being you — our Lobo alumni and supporters. We invite you to celebrate Living la Vida Lobo during Homecoming Week: Monday, Sept. 25, to Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017.
Homecoming 2017 Highlights:
** RSVP or tickets required
- Monday, Sept. 25, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Living la Vida Lobo Kickoff Rally
- Tuesday, Sept. 26, 6 p.m.: Hope McIntosh (‘99 BBA) Lecture **
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, noon to 1 p.m.: Faculty & Staff Alumni Luncheon
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, 6 to 8 p.m.: New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator Tour **
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, 6 to 8 p.m.: Geography of Beer presented by the UNM Geography Department **
- Thursday, Sept. 28, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Chemistry of Green Chile presented by the UNM Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology **
- Thursday, Sept. 28, 5 p.m.: McKinnon Distinguished CEO Lecture with speaker Lamek “Humble” Lukanga (‘08 BBA, ‘09 MBA)
- Friday, Sept. 29, 5 to 7 p.m.: Black Alumni Chapter Living Legends & Trailblazer Awards Ceremony **
- Friday, Sept. 29, 6 to 9 p.m.: Diner en Rouge **
- Friday, Sept. 29, 7 to 9 p.m.: UNM Alumni Lettermen Homecoming Social
- Saturday, Sept. 30, 9 to 11 a.m.: All University Breakfast **
- Saturday, Sept. 30, 1 to 3 p.m.: Honors College 60th anniversary reception
- Saturday, Sept. 30, 2 to 4:30 p.m.: Homecoming Tailgate **
- Saturday, Sept. 30, 5 p.m.: UNM vs. Air Force Academy Football Game **
Living la Vida Lobo is a celebration of each member of our Lobo pack — each of us defines all of us! With more than 50 events on the calendar during Homecoming Week 2017, including tours, lectures and college and department specific happy hours and reunions, there is an event to fit everyone’s interests. A full schedule of events can be found online.
For our Lobos across the country who are coming home for this year’s Homecoming festivities, the Alumni Relations Office negotiated discount rates at hotels in Albuquerque. Discount details and booking information can be found online.
Diner en Rouge: All Red Everything!
You’re invited to the UNM Alumni Association’s new homecoming event from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29 — Diner en Rouge! Rock your best all-rouge (red) outfit and prep the perfect picnic dinner for an evening that will bring to life this year’s theme — Living la Vida Lobo! Festivities will be held in the Karen A. Abraham Courtyard at Hodgin Hall Alumni Center and include free photos, best dressed and best table decoration contests, music, entertainment and surprises throughout the night. Tickets start at $20 and are limited, get yours today!
Tickets include drinks — wine and beer available for attendees who are 21 and older; non-alcoholic beverages also available — as well as linen covered tables and chairs for your convenience. More information and RSVP available online or by phone at 505-277-5808.
Live la Vida Lobo 5 ways
- Purchase the Homecoming 2017 poster “Desert Hillscape” by Kathleen Coucke. Order online.
- Rock your best red, show off your silver and howl with your pack at more than 50 great events offered throughout the week.
- Support homecoming celebrations and traditions by joining the Homecoming Club. Donate online!
- Stop by Bow & Arrow Brewing Co. for a special La Vida Lobo brew, $1 of every pint will be donated to the Alumni Association.
- Help us help our community by contributing to the eighth annual Homecoming Community Service Project in support of The Storehouse. Volunteer from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Sept. 23, or bring nonperishable, protein-rich food to Hodgin Hall Alumni Center.
Celebrating Astounding Lobo Alumni
We are proud to announce this year’s Lobos who are leading the pack in our community with their lively dedication and commitment to the Alumni Association, the University, professional development and community service. The UNM Alumni Association Awards will be presented at the All University Breakfast at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30, in the La Ventana Room at Embassy Suites. Tickets to the All University Breakfast are available online.
This year’s recipients include: Lobo Award recipient Jack Fortner (‘78 BA); Zia Awards recipients Amy Boule (‘68 BA, ‘84 MBA); Larry Larranaga (‘71 BSCE, ‘80 MS); L. Ray Nunley (‘62 BSPH); Roy Solomon (‘89 BUS); Elisabeth Valenzuela (‘99 BS, ‘01 MA, ‘09 PhD); Vickie Wilcox (‘95 JD); Inspirational Young Alumnus recipient Megan Fitzpatrick (‘08 BA, ‘14 MD). Read about the recipients here.
The Black Alumni Chapter Awards reception and ceremony will be held at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 29, in the Centennial Engineering Auditorium located on UNM’s Main Campus. The Living Legends Award will proudly be presented to C. Danny Spriggs (‘74 BUS) and Van Tate (‘88 BA). Trailblazer Awards will be presented to Hakim Bellamy (‘14 MA) and Rev. Donald Walton (‘73 BSPE). RSVP recommended for the awards ceremony.
Did U know?
In 1980, Homecoming introduced the crowning of a king in response to a male student running for Homecoming queen in 1979. For more about the history and traditions of Homecoming, visit our alumni history webpage.
Alumni Chapter Green Chile Roasts
Can you smell it? We can! Our UNM Alumni regional chapters have been roasting tons of green chile for our Lobos across the country throughout August. Now it’s D.C., NorCal and Atlanta’s turn! Order your chile online at the links below before the order deadline:
- Saturday, Sept. 9, and Sunday, Sept. 10: Washington D.C. Chapter Green Chile Roast and Taco Picnic
- Saturday, Sept. 16: NorCal Green Chile Roast
- Saturday, Oct. 7: Atlanta Green Chile Roast
The first Green Chile Roasts were held in 1997 during the Alumni Association’s Centennial Celebration. UNM Alumni Chapters continue the tradition today, helping raise funds for the Chapter Scholarship programs, which support students attending UNM from the chapters’ area. More information about the Green Chile Roasts and about ordering chile is available online.
Events are planned and put on our calendar weekly, stay up to date about chapter events by visiting our online events calendar.
- Saturday, Sept. 30, 5 to 8 p.m.: Live la Vida Lobo and join the UNM Alumni Chicago Chapter for a Homecoming football game watch event at Shoeless Joe’s Ale House & Grille. Free appetizers and soft drinks provided by the chapter. More info.
Dallas/Fort Worth Chapter
- Saturday, Sept. 30, 5 to 8:30 p.m.: Celebrate UNM Homecoming by attending a football game watch event at Social House in Addison. Be sure to show your game day pride by wearing your favorite Lobo colors! More info.
Las Vegas Chapter
- Thursday, Sept. 28, from 5:30 to 7 p.m.: Las Vegas alumni are invited to celebrate Living la Vida Lobo with a mixer at Public Works Coffee Bar. Show your pride by wearing your favorite Cherry & Silver colors. Bring your business cards for a drawing for alumni gear. More info.
Lobos in Oklahoma
- Saturday, Sept. 23: Tailgate with the UNM Alumni Association before watching the Lobos take on the University of Tulsa Golden Hurricanes. The tailgate tent will open two hours before kickoff and close 30 minutes prior; kickoff TBD. More info.
It's Good To Be A Lobo
UNM Alumni Travel Program
The UNM Alumni Association gives our Lobos with wanderlust the opportunity to continue their education by traveling the world through our Alumni Travel Program. With a number of unique trip opportunities, from South America to Scotland, our Alumni Travel Program sets you up for success by handling all the travel plans and arrangements for you while offering amazing discounts! The UNM Alumni Travel Program’s 2018 trips calendar is up on our website. For questions or to book your trip, please call Kathie Scott at 505-277-9303.
UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel
The Alumni Association invites you to tour and book the UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel for your special event or celebration. Elegant in its Southwestern simplicity, the University of New Mexico's Alumni Memorial Chapel is the ideal location for weddings, vow renewals and memorial services. The UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel is nondenominational and available to students, faculty, staff, and alumni. A virtual tour and booking information is available online or call Kathie Scott at 505-277-9303.
Business Card Drive
The UNM Alumni Relations Office is asking alums to mail us five business cards. The cards will be assembled into binders that will be shared with the career services and enrollment management offices to share with prospective and current students, showing the vast scope of careers that are possible with a degree from UNM. As a way to say thank you for your participation, the fifth card will be returned to you as a luggage tag. To share your business cards, please send them to: UNM Alumni Relations Office, ATTN: Business Card Book, MSC01-1160, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131.
Beyond friendship, fun, connecting with your professors and cheering for the Lobos, there are additional tangible benefits to being a UNM alum. UNM alumni, students and faculty can rent the UNM Alumni Memorial Chapel for life remembrances and celebrations. Alumni are eligible for negotiated group rates on insurance needs — from pets to homes. As an alum, you can purchase a Johnson Gym rec card and receive discounts on lifelong learning opportunities. Learn more about all Lobo Perks today!
Find your photos!
Did you come to any of our recent events? You can find all the photos on our Flickr site. Take a minute and tag yourself and your friends!
And, we lit THE U for you!
The U, located in Hodgin Hall Plaza, is lit in various colors to celebrate key achievements in academics, athletics, and other occasions on campus. Updates on when The U will be lit here.
- Sept. 2: Lobo Football victory over Abilene Christian University, 38-14
For questions or more information:
Alumni Relations Office