Volunteers are needed for: Shredded lettuce, chopped onions, tomatoes, desserts, fruit, your secret New Mexican dish; Pre-picnic preparation on Saturday; and Picnic day set-up, ambiance patrol, traffic control, registration, serving.
Washington, D.C. Chapter
2016 Taco Picnic and Green Chile Roast
Sunday, September 11, 2016, Fortuitous Farm
September 2016 will mark the 47th year that the UNM Alumni in the D.C. area will hold the Taco Picnic at Fortuitous Farm in Owings, MD.
Over the years, this event has grown from a cozy potluck picnic hosted by Bob and Geri Werdig, UNM alumni and the owners of Fortuitous Farm, to a blockbuster picnic and chile roasting event attended by over 350 people. The sale of Hatch Green Chile at the Taco Picnic, along with many donations, has provided more than $40,000 in scholarships for students from the D.C. area and New Mexico who attend UNM. In addition, we created an endowment fund that now totals over $35,000 with which to perpetually endow this scholarship program. For 2015 the D.C. Chapter is also sponsoring a Presidential Scholarship for a New Mexico high school graduate.
Chile Roast: 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
TWO TONS of New Mexico’s finest Hatch green chile will be available this year for purchase. You must reserve and pay for your green chile order online. Harris Teeter has again agreed to ship our entire order which saves about $4,000 in freight overall!
We will be offering: 2,000 pounds of HOT; 1,250 pounds of medium; and 750 pounds of EXTRA HOT (i.e., not for timid folk). A 10-pound bag has about 60-70 chile and a one pound bag has 6-7 chile.
When you reserve and pay for your chile, you may choose from two pick-up options:
- Saturday, September 10 Pick-up: Pick-up your raw green chile at Chinquapin Park, 3210 King Street, Alexandria, VA between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday, September 11 Pick-up: Pick-up your raw or roasted green chile at the Taco Picnic at Fortuitous Farm. Bring a cooler with ice and/or a cold pack in it to preserve the roasted chile on the ride home.
Taco Picnic: 1:00 p.m.
The Taco Picnic is a fun time for everyone who loves good company, authentic New Mexican tacos, and fresh roasted Hatch Green Chile. The Taco Picnic begins at 1:00 pm and will be held rain or shine. Attire is casual. NO PETS ARE ALLOWED AT THE PICNIC, not even in your car. This is a working farm, avoid wearing open-toe foot wear.
- Take I 395 to King Street East, go past TC Williams High School and turn south on Chinquapin Drive (map).
- Go between Chinquapin Recreation center and the high school then circle the park.
- Look for a rental truck and the UNM banner and/or simply follow the aroma of the fresh green chile.
- Take the Beltway to Maryland Route 4 (exit 11A) going east to Upper Marlboro. Stay on Route 4 for approximately 20 miles until you pass through Dunkirk.
- On the left will be buildings housing “Stevenson’s Pools” and “Dunkirk Supply.”
- Turn left on Skinners Turn Road and go 1.2 miles to Fortuitous Farm on the right.
- If you are coming from Baltimore or Annapolis, use Maryland Route 2 South past Mount Harmony Road and turn right onto Skinners Turn Road, proceed 0.6 miles to Fortuitous Farm on the left or simply follow the aroma of the roasting green chili.
- For GPS purposes address is 550 Skinners Turn Road, Owings, MD.